IT chump information technology and system administration
Welcome to my information technology (IT) and systems management web site. This web site is intended to share the strategies, objectives, reviews, research, analysis, implementation, support, best practices and lessons learned as part of my IT leadership role and staff management responsibilities.
Like many IT managers, systems administrators, database administrators, information security professionals and IT staff, I incur a technology, product or user experience learning curve every day. My most recent experience was a new SaaS-based HR software implementation. Unfortunately, many of these lessons are incurred via trial and error. Fortunately, my learning curves are comparable to the vast majority of other IT managers and technology professionals. Therefore, I'm choosing to catalogue and share our IT team's evaluations, reviews, purchases, implementations, trouble shooting and variouis other projects in order to offer insight to similarly positioned professionals. Of course, I hope and expect that I will both increase my own understanding from the content which we publish as well as gain insight from a peer community of like minded people.
Our IT group operates in four locations in three countries (the US, Romania and Australia). We server user communities in six primary offices (in six countries) as well as many home office, traveling and remote users.
Our IT portfolio for which I will provide web site coverage includes the following vendor solutions:
- Cisco | Routers, Switches and Firewalls
- Citrix | Application Accelerators, Load Balancers and Firewalls
- F5 | Application Accelerators, Load Balancers and Firewalls
- HP | Servers and PCs
- IBM | Servers and PCs
- EMC | Storage Area Networks (SANs)
- Microsoft | Database, Operating Systems and Dynamics CRM system
- Aplicor | Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) business systems
- Oracle | Database and Oracle Financials ERP system
- Avaya | VOIP Telephone System
- Sourcefire | Snort Intrusion Detection System (IDS)
- Barracuda | Content Filter, Spam Filter and Firewall
- APC | UPS, KVM and PDU
Vendor relationships play a crucial role in the success or failure of IT professionals. Therefore, vendor reviews and commentary will be provided in a candid and straight forward manner. Let me clearly state in advance that this is not a vendor gripe repository, however, real world vendor experiences must be included as they are a meaningful part of my career, and presumably the careers of this web site's readers.
Search | Links | Library | Rants | Raves | Site Map
SQL Server 2008 Review